Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We set a baptismal date for one of our investigators last week!

9-21-2011

Familia,

Hey there, family. Its been a long week here. I have been feeling a little bit sick the last couple days, so right now I am just exhausted. But its been a really good week.

I'm glad things are going well for you there. I hope everything is okay with you Mom, and your cough. How is volunteering at the ELC? Where is that? Is it just a program to help people learn English? Do they have something like that to help me learn Spanish?

I haven't gotten any letters from Morgan or Eliza yet, but we also haven't checked the mail yet today. I'm sure they'll be there. I loved the pictures of Morgan from Homecoming, I hope she had fun. I have heard from Hailey recently, she has started emailing me once a week, which is awesome.

It was Hermana Summers' birthday on Sunday, and one of our friends from the branch, Miel (said MEE-EL, it means honey), decided to do something for her everyday leading up to her birthday starting last Wednesday. So we had surprise cupcakes and balloons and the like. On her birthday I woke Hermana Summers up at one in the morning after waking myself up at midnight to make her banana pancakes. She had said she'd wished we could go to breakfast at Denny's in our pajamas in the middle of the night, so since we can't do that, I brought it to her. It was super fun. We were also super tired the next day. :)

We set a baptismal date for one of our investigators last week! His name is Aldo, and we set a date for October 8th. He has been being taught since like November, and his work schedule has made it hard, but he's awesome. He works in construction and often works like 20 hours a day, and then sleeps for a couple of days. But he has been able to come to church pretty consistently the last couple of weeks. He is a really intelligent guy, and really well read. He once told us that one of his vices is reading. He does ask questions though that everyone looks to me to answer, but I can't in my limited Spanish. He asked why the tribes of Israel were scattered, and why they circumcised babies, and if it was still a commandment. Its pretty interesting trying to stumble over those explanations. He also told us that he doesn't like to go to parties, because he doesn't drink, he'd much rather stay home and read. He is super solid. He isn't someone that is going to go inactive afterward because he doesn't feel support from the branch, he is getting baptized because he knows its what he is supposed to do, and nothing will change that. He even brought his kids to church last week. He told us that they didn't want to come, but until they are 18 they have to do what he says, and they compromised and just came to sacrament. But he is worried about them getting into bad stuff, and he and their mother are divorced, so this is the only way that he knows how to help them. We're hoping to be able to begin teaching them soon.

 We had zone conference yesterday. it was from 9 am to 3 pm. It was pretty cool. It was our zone, and the one that Hermana Creson (my MTC companion) is in, so I got to see her which was nice. We were all given a topic to prepare a five minute talk on, and then people were randomly called on to speak. Of course I was called on. The topic was loving and respecting your leaders, especially missionary leaders. The scripture they wanted us to use was D&C 90:5. Just look that up and tell me that doesn't confuse you. But yeah, I did it. It was okay.

Well, I think thats about all I've got today. I love you all! I really hope everything is going well for you.

Les Quiero,
Shaelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment