Sunday, October 9, 2011

"I appear to be quickly accumulating a list of mission injuries"

10-5-2011

Family,

Another Wednesday. Not really sure what to write about, as missionary work is pretty much the same everyday.
Last week we had exchanges with the Hermanas in Woodstock. I stayed here in Rockford, and Hermana West came here. Overall it was pretty stressful because I had to be in charge of the area, and when we went into appointments I had to make the small talk and everything which was just painful. The exchange was Thursday to Friday, and Friday we couldn't even do anything we originally had planned because the car wouldn't start. The battery had a ton of corrosion, so I had to call a member to come jump start us. When the member got there, I was putting the cables on her battery, so my head was under the hood and the prop that holds the hood up fell. So the hood hit my right on the bridge of my nose. It may have cracked my nose, its swelled up quite a bit, it's still pretty painful, and I've got a nice bump on the bridge of my nose now. I appear to be quickly accumulating a list of mission injuries. So after we got the car jumped, we spent the whole day driving around Rockford trying to get it fixed. We went to the auto place that the mission vehicle coordinator suggested, and they told us (rudely) they were too busy, so we tried somewhere else that was also too busy, and then we called the first place to see if we could make an appointment, and they told us to just bring it in, they had plenty of time! So that was frustrating.
Monday was mission council and training, which is a meeting all of the zone leaders and district leaders go to like once a month, and they invite a couple of sisters to go every time, and this time we got invited, so we drove down to Naperville and spent the whole day there getting taught by the Assistants, and President and Sister Doll. Afterward we got a BRAND NEW CAR! We are now driving a 2010 chevy malibu. It is pretty sweet. I am just glad I'm not the one actually driving, I think it would give me a lot of anxiety.
Our baptism for the Saturday isn't going to happen afterall. For one thing, someone else booked the church before us, so we couldn't do it even if Aldo was ready, but also his friend's wife just died unexpectedly so he is spending all of his limited spare time in Chicago, so we haven't been able to meet with him like we've wanted to. But, I'm not too worried about him, I was hoping he would be baptized before transfers so I could be here in case I get moved, but I have no doubt that he will be baptized by the end of the month. Last week we taught him the Word of Wisdom, which I was a little worried about because he drinks a huge thing of coffee in the morning to get him through his ridiculous work day, but when we met with him a week after that, he told us since the lesson he hadn't had any coffee! It was super exciting. He really is great. Its just too bad that he is so busy, and that outside forces are causing things to be delayed.
So thats pretty much anything even remotely exciting thats happened this week. Besides General Conference, which was excellent. I hope you all loved it. It definitely made me think of you, and how much I wished I was in my pajamas on a couch rather than in a skirt, nylons, and a jacket on a hard church pew. But, it was still amazing.
I'm glad that it sounds like things are going well for all of you. I'm sorry to hear you're sick Mom, I hope you get feeling better!
Congrats, LuLu on winning your first powder puff game! Kick those other girls butts! YEAHHH BUDDYYY!!!
I got the letters yesterday about the sealing on Friday, thanks for telling me about it! It sounds like a little bit of an adventure with all of those boys, but I'm glad it went well.
Also, thanks for the pictures from Charley's wedding, Mom. I hope you weren't pestering her for them. . .
Do you have a fall break or anything coming up? Have anything fun planned? How is the weather out there? It was a little cooler last week, but so far this week its been really nice here. Today its supposed to be close to 80. We are planning on going to a nice apple orchard here today and getting some treats, and then we're having a zone activity and celebrating Elder John's birthday with a pinata and a bunch of tacos from Taco Bell. Should be exciting. . .

Well, I love you all. I think thats about all I have for you this week. Next week I could be somewhere completely different! I could be on bikes in downtown Chicago! I'll keep you posted.

Les Quiero,
Shaelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment