Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm starting to get worried about getting transferred in a couple of weeks, and it will just rip my heart out to leave these families. This is my ward! I can't leave. But I probably will. . . :(

8-20-2012
Familia,

Another week.

Every week when I sit down for emails I really have no idea what to say. Like really, every week is pretty similar. I don't know what to tell you. What you want to hear, or don't want to hear. I mean really. I get up, do studies. and then we have appointments. And a lot of our appointments are regular, weekly things. . . monday: p-day, dinner at the sosa's. Tuesday: salgado, garcia, flores, quinonez. Wednesday: district meeting, armenta. Thursday: weekly planning, salgado, junta, garcia. Friday: imelda, esmerelda. Saturday: Gonzalez. Sunday: church, Rivera. And then the inbetween is just the other people we are able to make apointments with and finding. But never anything super exciting.

So I don't know what to tell you. Things are going well. We're trying to build up our teaching pool, but haven't had much success. We are really busy with our regular appointments too, and always seem to have something to do, which is good- But we just haven't managed to find any new investigators for a while. We work a lot with less active members, part member families, and recent converts. During my mission this is where I've seen the most investigators come from, from these families and their friends- but right now it looks like I'm going to need to figure out a different method to find people to teach. Its just a matter of figuring out whats effective and not just busy work, without real results.

The people we are teaching right now that are the closest to baptism are the Armenta's. Hermana Armenta is a member, but her husband and two daughters are not. Her husband isn't interested really in converting, is fine listening to what we have and likes it, but wants to stay Catholic. But the girls, Patty (22) and Alex (19) say they do want to be baptized, once they know more. They are also really hesitant to set a baptismal date, because they don't want to set one that they won't be ready for. It doesn't matter how many times we reassure them that if they 're not ready, we can change it- they won't set it. So we're teaching them right now and then once we've taught them all they need, I guess we'll baptize them. We are currently working with them to try to get answers to their prayers about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. Alex isn't sure if she's gotten an answer from praying or not, and Patty hasn't prayed specifically to know if its true. Its slow going, but they have good intentions- just aren't on the same schedule as we are. :) They are great though. I really like them. \

Leslie is doing great. We gave her and her cousin Cynthia (who is 10 but her mom won't let her get baptized) triples with personal notes inside each of them and they loved it. They both have started reading and brought their books to church super proud of them. We finished reading the children's Book of Mormon with them, so yesterday we had a party to celebrate. The party was really just watching the Testaments and eating popcorn, but the word party excited them. :) We watched it with their grandma, Hna Salgado- who is a recent convert of about 6 months. At the end she and Leslie were both crying, and it was really special. Then our next appointment cancelled, so we stayed a little longer and Hermana Milliron practiced teaching the Plan of Salvation. I love that family so much. I'm starting to get worried about getting transferred in a couple of weeks, and it will just rip my heart out to leave these families. This is my ward! I can't leave. But I probably will. . . :(

Imelda is still having a lot of pain in her legs. She had to cancel our appointment on Friday because she had a doctor appointment, but the medicine still wasn't helping by Sunday so she didn't make it to church. Its pretty sad, since the day I knocked on the door she hasn't missed a day of church until these last few weeks with her pain. I know she really wants to be there, but she just can't make it.

Wednesday night we had a mini adventure. We had an appointment with Stephanie at 6, and the Elders from the Chicago 2nd ward were going to come with us. So we met up with the Elders and headed over to Steph's. . . but she wasn't there yet. She was held up at the Bishop's house helping is wife with something. So we told her not to worry about it, we'd go grab something to eat and she said she'd let us know when she was home and that she'd hurry. So we eat. . and she's still not home. So we head over to a park to wait for her. At the park there is a pond, with a little bridge that goes out into it. So we're chilling on this bridge, talking, waiting for Steph. And I dropped the keys in the pond. Like an idiot. And its a disgusting dirty pond and we have no idea how deep it is and its already dark so we can't even see into the pond at all. so the elders go over and try to employ the help of some people fishing. while I stand there freaking out and feeling like an idiot. The fisherman tell us the only thing to do is get in and try to find the keys. So Elder Derby jumps on the chance to get in the pond, and in his full pros he jumps on in. Luckily it was only up to his upper thighs, and he found the keys. But. . it was an exciting night for all of us. And Steph ended up not being able to meet with us anyway. 

Well. I think thats about all of the stories I've got for you this week. This week should be full of the same. Hopefully with less key disasters. Tomorrow Millie and I are going to Naperville for some super long training meeting. Its from 10 am to 2 pm. And I am so not exciting. But it'll be good to see some other missionaries than usual I guess, all of the zone leaders and trainers and greenies should be there.

Love you all! Hope going back to school goes well, and that you have fun!

les quiero,
Shaelyn

fotos:



my cityyyy


rainy day on the pier


Hermana Salgado


Karlita and Leslie


Karla teaching us her version of the Plan :)


me if i were bald, also rainy day at the pier


kombucha drink. its disgusting


missionary work calls for some serious planning. even more planning for pday,
which is what we're doing here. :)


love these girls




No comments:

Post a Comment